SuiteCommerce release Aconcagua drastically changes the landscape of the SuiteCommerce product and offerings and you will quickly understand why. With this release, users can implement themes and extensions to improve their web stores using SuiteCommerce customization functionalities. Site administrators can install themes and extensions as bundled SuiteApps or as custom-built code deployed to an account by in-house theme designers and site developers.
What is a Theme?
A Theme is a type of extension that affects a domain’s design, look, and feel. Themes can contain any number of HTML templates, Sass files, and other assets that are available as published themes (bundled into a single SuiteApp) or deployed to a NetSuite account by theme developers. Developers can develop and work on SuiteCommerce Themes locally, and then upload them to a site.
Some of the benefits and features of using themes:
- Themes allow any developer working with SuiteCommerce or SuiteCommerce Advanced (SCA) to create and manage their own themes (using Site Management Tools) and activate them for any domains associated with their site. Partners can also publish and distribute themes as bundled SuiteApps.
- Themes can control how a site looks, and what customizations a site administrator can make to their site’s appearance via the theme customizer.
- Only one theme can be active per domain at any time
What is an Extension?
The Extension framework (introduced in Aconcagua version) represents one of the biggest changes made in NetSuite SuiteCommerce module. Not only it simplifies development but also ushers a new way to approach website customization.
Benefits of Extensions :
- Using Extensibility API, Extensions allows developers to create new website functionality (in form of bundles) without having to touch the website base code. The new bundles built on Extensions can be easily versioned, distributed, and activated across different sites and different versions of sites.
- SuiteCommerce Extensions are the only option available (versus SCA) when it comes to creating website customizations to a SuiteCommerce website.
- Extensions can be bundled as SuiteApps. The key advantage is that features of currently deployed Extensions can be upgraded whenever required and re-deployed in existing systems meaning existing systems can be upgraded without any change in existing source code.
- Apart from the above advantages few other advantages are :
1) Minimize the effort of keeping a site up to date.
2) Easy sharing between production and sandbox accounts
3) Extensions are backward compatible.
Features of Extensions :
- Extensions are micro-packages of modular SuiteCommerce code which adds functionality on top of the web store in a specific domain. Extensions can be bundled and distributed using SuiteBundler.
- Extensions can be used
To develop new Sass and HTML templates and deploy as themes.
Create Custom Content Types (CCTs) as extensions.
4. Components: Components are ready-made classes and methods used by Extensibility API which can be used as a substitute for objects and functions. These saves times in creating new objects and functions on regular basis.
NetSuite is one of the best Cloud ERP solutions in the world. Try a Demo with Tvarana, a NetSuite ERP partner to know more about our NetSuite Services and NetSuite implementation cost. With more than decades of experiences and a team of in-house experts, Tvarana provides NetSuite implementation services and NetSuite support services for NetSuite ERP Software. You can mail your queries at email@example.com and for any feedback or concern, you can call us at +1 770-783-1441.