Founded under the name MuleSource by Ross Mason and David Rosenberg in 2006 and headquartered in San Francisco, MuleSoft provides integration software for connecting applications, data and devices. The “mule” in the MuleSoft is derived from the “donkey-work” which is often associated with data integration, that the company aims to eliminate via its platform. Additionally, like its namesake the mule, MuleSoft aims to deliver the strength of a donkey to break down complex, time-consuming tasks and get work done quickly. The company’s main product is the Anypoint platform which includes a number of components and is designed to provide integration for software-as-a-service (SaaS), on-premise software, legacy systems and many others.
Acquired by Salesforce in 2018, MuleSoft is now an integral part of the Salesforce Integration Cloud. MuleSoft, through the use of it’s Anypoint platform allows users to build an application network comprised of secure, stable and reusable APIs. It’s integration solutions can be applied across a wide range of industries such as:
- Financial services: MuleSoft helps finance companies compile and transform critical data across organizational silos, modernize aging systems using APIs, and automate processes and product launches to deliver an exceptional customer experience at 4x the speed.
- Government: Over a 100 different government agencies rely on MuleSoft to improve citizen engagement with access to digital services across devices, leveraging the cloud to boost efficiency and lower costs, and boosting employee productivity by automating the delivery of civil services.
- Healthcare: Use of MuleSoft APIs allows for a seamless patient experience, with providers having access to real-time patient data from any place, automation of clinical processes to improve staff efficiency, and enabling tracking of patient data against key population health metrics.
- Higher education: MuleSoft harnesses data from multiple sources to build a 360 degree view of each student across different systems, creating a highly individualized experience and driving student success.
- Insurance: MuleSoft improves predictive analysis for insurance companies with in-depth customer information, modernizes aging systems, and extends customer reach by building new distribution channels.
- Manufacturing: With the Anypoint platform, businesses can see a streamlined supply chain, shorter product cycles with faster time to market, and improved operational efficiency.
- Media and telecom: MuleSoft enables rapid revenue growth for the media and telecom industry through API-based connectivity, and an enhanced customer experience by leveraging data to build a comprehensive view of customer interactions across channels.
- Retail: Building an integrated platform through MuleSoft, retail companies can create a unified brand and customer experience across web, in-store and mobile platforms, as well as an optimized supply chain driven by a real-time exchange of information between internal and external partners.
The MuleSoft Anypoint Platform comes equipped with a number of tools that helps businesses with their integration needs, accessible through a single online interface:
- Anypoint Studio: Anypoint Studio provides users with a graphic design environment, complete with reusable components, to build either graphically or in XML, edit, integrate and deploy APIs easily over the cloud or on-premises. Prebuilt templates and connectors make integrations a breeze for any developer.
- API Designer: The API Designer is a web-based tool created for designing, documenting and testing APIs. Reusable prebuilt API fragments available in Exchange can be used to design API specifications, with the ability to validate design with a mocking service.
- Anypoint Exchange: MuleSoft makes the process of API creation simple for developers by providing an extensive library of prebuilt connectors, templates and examples, as well as best practices for internal use.
- Anypoint API Portal: Anypoint’s easy-to-navigate API Portal gives developers immediate access to a centralized location for interactive documentation, sharing, tutorials, code snippets and examples. Uploading a RAML or OpenAPI specification automatically generates interactive documentation and a sandbox for customers to interact with a live API during evaluation.
- Mule Runtime Engine: Powering the Anytime platform, Mule runtime is the engine that performs data and application integration across legacy systems, SaaS applications and APIs. It connects enterprise applications on-premises and to the cloud, eliminating the need for custom point-to-point integration code.
- Anypoint Connectors: Anypoint Connectors are prebuilt, reusable tools that facilitate integrations with third-party APIs by simply performing a drag-and-drop into a work flow.
- API Manager: API Manager is a component of Anypoint Platform used for managing APIs. It helps to secure APIs with policies, manage client access, group APIs as products, monitor and analyze traffic- all managed from a single place, regardless of where they are hosted.
- API Analytics: The MuleSoft Anypoint platform provides users with valuable insights and analytics against metrics such as API usage and performance, and the ability to drill down and quickly find and resolve issues. Customized charts and dashboards provide relevant information in order to better understand and improve services for users.
Does your business need a platform to connect data, applications and devices across on-premises and cloud computing environments? MuleSoft might be the right fit for you! Connect with our integration experts to set up a MuleSoft demo today.